Creativity is a complex topic. So how exactly do psychologists define creativity? There are a lot of definitions about creativity, some hard to explane,.. But most of them agree that creativity is the tendency to solve problems or create new things in new ways.
Elements in Creativity
Two main elements that compose in creativity is:
- Originality: The idea should be something new, not just an extension of something that already exist.
- Functionality: The idead must work or bring some usefulness.
When will Creativity Happen?
Following the book of psychologist Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi, named Creativity: Flow and the Psychology of Discovery and Invention, suggested that creativity can often appear in a few different situations.
- Those who have some unfamiliar thoughts
- Those who see the world with a fresh perspective, have insightful ideas and make important personal discoveries. They usually make creativity discover by their own.
- Those who make great creative achievements that become known to the entire world. Inventors and artists such as Thomas Edison and Pablo Picasso would fall into this category.
Types of Creativity
Creativity also have various kind. The “four c” is a model of creativity suggests that there are four different types:
- “Mini c” creativity is about people with growth in personality meaningful ideas and insights that are known only to the self.
- “Little c” creativity involves mostly thinking everyday and how to solve problem. This will help people to face their everyday challenges and fit the changing enviroments.
- “Pro C” creativity often start in professionals who are skilled and creative in their respective fields.
- “Big c” creativity have relative with create new idea or project in particular field which is great and unbelievable. This also leads to world-changing creations such as medical innovations, technological advances, and artistic achievements.
What does it take to be Creativity?
According to Csikszentmihalyi, he said creative people usually have these variety of traits that contribute to their innovative thinking. Some of these key traits include:
- Energy: they have high energy both mental and physical. However, they also tend to spend a great deal of time quietly thinking and reflecting.
- Intelligence: Psychologists have long believed that intelligence plays a critical and most important role in creativity. High IQ was necessary for great creativity, not all people with high IQs are creative. Csikszentmihalyi also believes that creative people must be smart, however they must be capable of looking at things in fresh ways.
- Discipline: Creative people not waiting for inspiration, they explore to find inspiration. They are also disciplined in the pursuit of their work and passions.
Many people think that creativity is some naturally, there are things that you can do to increase your own creativity.
The late Maya Angelou also suggested that thinking creativity helps foster even greater creativity:
Creativity or talent, like electricity, is something I don’t understand but something I’m able to harness and use. While electricity remains a mystery, I know I can plug into it and light up a cathedral or a synagogue or an operating room and use it to help save a life. Or I can use it to electrocute someone. Like electricity, creativity makes no judgment. I can use it productively or destructively. The important thing is to use it. You can’t use up creativity. The more you use it, the more you have.